Sunday, February 17, 2008

How the Idea Was Born

"If, at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it." -- Albert Einstein

The 21 Run Salute idea was born in June 2004 shortly after I was selected to run the Marine Corps Marathon (MCM) 2004. I was actually already running the Nike Marathon a week earlier and considered possibly giving away my MCM bib but could not decide who should get it. Having friends and a relative serving overseas, I decided I would run MCM to honor them and try doing something I've never done before: fundraising.

I was surprised not to be able to find any organized teams running for our troops at the various marathons I wanted to run so I created my own marathon fundraising campaign and selected two worthy charities for the cause, Operation USO Care Package and TAPS. I challenged myself to run marathons every one to two weeks starting the weekend of September 11, 2004 until Memorial Day 2005 and raise $21,000. A small tribute to the brave men and women of our Armed Forces.